Sometimes images tell a story far better than words can. Today we have a special treat, never before published images from the eruption at Heimaey. For those who are not familiar with this eruption it was a story of great courage as the islands population was rapidly evacuated on pretty much anything that could float on Iceland, and it is also a brave story of how they struggled to save their town and their harbor.
The eruption started around 1 o’clock at night on 23rd of January 1973 after almost no warning.
The images are from the private album of Bragi Björnsson. The images was scanned by his son Dagur Bragason and we are publishing them with Dagurs permission. The epic photograph above was taken by Guðmundur Sigfússon and clearly shows how close to the town the eruption happened.
Volcano of the Month
It is once again time for the volcano of the month competition. This time changes have been made so that you should not be able to vote more than once.
Today and tomorrow you can nominate your candidates, and on Sundays post you can start the voting.
- Stinky resort of – Methana Volcano, Greece (Dinojura44, 2pt). Strabo wrote about Methana and also visited. Many went there to breath the Mofettes (stinky exhalations of methane).
- Mastering the squirt in empty asteroid crater – Jeff Wynn (Kelda, 2pt). Head of the Cascades Volcano Observatory, he studied the Wabar asteroid crater in Rub al-Khali (Empty Quarter) in Saudi Arabia.
- Peralkine grand green mountain – Pantelleria (Sissel, 2pt). Montagna Grande and the Peralkine Pantellerite together with Green Tuff.
- The fourth fish of shoulder, at sea you can mate with me – Axial Seamount (Kelda, 1pt). First explored by the Pisces IV, the shoulder is axialy mounted on the body.
- Fashion item for some cloak & dagger – Mantle (Kelda, 2pt)
10 Evan Chugg
CARL (Evil Riddler)